One of the few town houses to survive the devastating town fire of 1656.

The International Newspaper Museum is in the "Große Haus of Aachen“, one of the few town houses to survive the devastating town fire of 1656. The two lower floors date back to around 1495; the top floor from the Renaissance.

The history of this building was closely linked to the metal industry, one of Aachen's main economic sectors. Its builder, Heinrich Dollart, established a metal works in 1497 in nearby Stolberg which today still bears the name "Dollartshammer". Dollart himself was executed nine years later for stealing silver. The house passed into the ownership of an Antwerp-based trading company and served for more than a century as a transshipment point for calamine, a sulphur-free substitute for zinc ore needed for the production of brass.

After the town fire, the City of Aachen acquired the house. From 1717 on, it was the location of the city's weigh house, where excise duties were calculated and levied. In the French era around 1800, the building went through many changes. First it served as a French customs office, then as a Prussian trading centre for salt, as a police headquarters, as a prison and as an arts and crafts museum. In the years of occupation following the First World War, it was the seat of the Belgian Army, then later became the Civic History Museum and finally the International Newspaper Museum. The Große Haus is being refurbished for its role in the Route Charlemagne.

Station Media
Internationales Zeitungsmuseum

The International Newspaper Museum is located in one of Aachen's oldest town houses. It has a collection of historical newspapers unparalleled anywhere else in the world. In the framework of the Route Charlemagne it deals with the theme "Media".

History

Visit

To the next station